Marco H. Santamaria
Marco is a Registered Patent Attorney practicing patent prosecution in biotechnology, chemical and the mechanical arts. Marco is a member of the firm’s Dental Practice Group and a current law student at University of New Mexico School of Law. While in law school, Marco externed for the U.S. Navy and assisted with the prosecution of mechanical patents. He also externed for Judge Jimmie V. Reyna in the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Before attending law school, Marco earned a master’s degree in bioengineering from the University of California San Diego and worked for the United States Veteran Administration where he conducted research in the field of cardiovascular shock.
University of New Mexico School of Law, J.D., 2020
University of California San Diego, M.S. Bioengineering, 2016
University of California San Diego, B.S. Bioengineering: Biotechnology, 2013
Selected Work Experiences:
Peacock Law P.C., Albuquerque, NM
Registered Patent Attorney, Nov 2020–Present
Patent Agent/Law Clerk, May 2019–Nov 2020
Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, Washington, DC
Judicial Extern for the Honorable Jimmie V. Reyna, (January 2019–April 2019)
United States Veteran Administration, La Jolla, CA
Project Scientist/Lab Manager, Dr. Erik Kistler Laboratory (2014–2016)
Led a study to determine efficacy of small peptides derived from circulatory shock as angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. Developed a novel protocol for cell free angiotensin II production to test potential inhibitors.
University of California, San Diego
Graduate Researcher, Dr. Geert Schmid-Schönbein Laboratory ,(2013– 2016)
Led study for efficacy of new inhibitor of MMPs to prevent inhibition of CD36 scavenger receptor cleavage in a hypertensive rat model. Managed all elements of study including experimental design, execution of experiments, statistical tests and manuscript writing.
Headed a study of α1 adrenergic receptor response to hemorrhagic shock in the context of experimental treatment for vasopressor resistance.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Registered Patent Agent, No. 76,438
Boards & Professional Organizations:
- Board Member, IP Section of the New Mexico State Bar (2017–2019)
- President, UNM School of Law Intellectual Property Society (2017–2019)
Professional/Community Recognition & Awards:
- Hispanic National Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Institute Scholar (2019)
- University of California San Diego, Department of Bioengineering, Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award (2013)
- Amgen Scholar (2011)
- Federico Aletti*, Marco Henry Santamaria*, Kevin Chin, Rafi Mazor, Erik B. Kistler. Enteral tranexamic acid decreases proteolytic activity in the heart in acute experimental hemorrhagic shock, Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics (2019). *Co-First Authors.
- D. Braga, M. Barcella, F. D’ Avila , S. Lupoli, F. Tagliaferri, Marco Henry Santamaria, F.A. Delano, G. Baselli, G.W. Schmid-Schönbein, E.B. Kistler, F. Aletti, C. Barlassina. Preliminary profiling of blood transcriptome in a rat model of hemorrhagic shock, Experimental Biology and Medicine. (2017).
- Marco Henry Santamaria, Federico Aletti, Joyce B. Li, Aaron Tan, Monica Chang, Jessica Leon, Geert W. SchmidSchönbein, Erik B. Kistler. Enteral tranexamic acid attenuates vasopressor resistance and changes in α1-adregnergic receptor expression in hemorrhagic shock, Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery (2017).
- Federico Aletti, E. Maffioli, A. Negri, Marco Henry Santamaria, Frank A. DeLano, Erik B. Kistler, Geert W. SchmidSchönbein, G. Tedeschi, Peptidomic analysis of rat plasma: proteolysis in hemorrhagic shock, Shock (2016).
- Marco Henry Santamaria, Angela Y. Chen, Jason Chow, Diana Carolina Munoz, Geert W. Schmid-Schönbein, Cleavage and reduced CD36 ectodomain density on heart and spleen macrophages in the spontaneously hypertensive rat, Microvascular Research (2014).